Foothills of Denver Tours – Active Sightseeing or Hiking Tours
Join us on a four-hour tour through the beautiful foothills of Denver. Experience the famous Red Rocks Amphitheater, spectacular vistas and historic towns. Stroll along a beautiful mountain lake and have a coffee/beer in downtown Evergreen before heading through scenic Bear Creek Canyon back to Denver. This foothills tour is a great quick escape from the city.
Sightseeing/Drive Itinerary. As we rise out of the Great Plains valley and climb toward the mountains, the area provides fantastic viewpoints over the city. Our visit to Red Rocks Amphitheatre will astonish and amaze as it is “the only naturally-occurring, acoustically perfect amphitheater in the world”*. It has been a centerpiece of cultural and concert events since 1941. After your visit, including a walk through the visitor center which documents many of the concerts over the years, you may be inspired to attend one of the many events that take place throughout the summer.
We then climb to Lookout Mountain. Colorado is full of western stories and lore, including that of the infamous Buffalo Bill Cody. His grave, and a museum dedicated to his legacy, is located atop of Lookout Mountain and the views over the Rockies and the Great Plains are fantastic.
We will continue on the Lariat Loop and pass through the town of Evergreen, where you can walk along a peaceful lake and get a coffee or beer in historic downtown. Later we will drive through the beautiful Bear Creek Canyon back to Denver.
Optional stop: Dinosaur Ridge, where some of the world’s most famous Dinosaurs have been found. Seeing their footprints and the bones imbedded in the rock is a great way to be taken back into a time before human existence, when the area was once a seabed. You will walk along the trail viewing fossils, footprints and amazing geological formations.
- Visit the world famous Red Rocks Amphitheater and the legendary concert museum
- See where Buffalo Bill was laid to rest and learn about his legacy.
- Explore Evergreen and the Lariat Loop
- Optional stop: Dinosaur Ridge stop to view dinosaur tracks and fossils.
- Stop at the world famous Red Rocks Amphitheater. The views are incredible and you can have a look at the new visitor center and concert museum and/or just walk and explore.
- Then we move on to Buffalo Bills Grave, a historical sight of great significance and also a magnificent viewpoint. You have the chance to go into the museum and explore the exhibit($5).
- Then down to Golden on the Lariat Loop trail, where you can visit the Coors Brewery (optional/time permitting) for a 1 hour tour or walk through the charming town and enjoy some shopping or eating.
- Optional (time permitting) visit to Dinosaur Ridge, a place where some of the world’s most significant Dinosaurs where found. You have the option to walk to some of the sights or take a guided 45min bus tour with an expert guide ($5).
How long is the tour?
Approximately 3.5 hours
What is included in the tour?
Transport, guide, water and snacks. If you want lunch, Golden has plenty of options to purchase a meal.
How old do I need to be for the tour?
Any age is welcome
How much walking during the tour?
Walking is possible (you can chose to walk at Dinosaur Ridge or take shuttle) but not required.
Can I cancel the tour?
If you cancel the tour within 72 hours you will get the full refund. You can transfer your purchase anytime to someone else as long as you notify us before the tour.
Are there restroom breaks along the way?
Yes, every major stop has a restroom.
What if the weather is bad?
Tour usually does not cancel unless the weather is REALLY bad. We would notify you and refund you the full amount.
- Valid 21 ID if you plan on doing brewery tour
- Sunglasses and hat
- Check the weather forecast and dress accordingly.
- Wear layers so that you can shed them if you are hot and bundle up if you are cold.
- Light hiking shoes or sneakers with good tread is best.
- If sight-seeing only – comfortable footwear with tread so that you can get out at the rest and viewing stops.
- Bring at least one liter of water per person. We will supply some water but you may need more.